Re: Adding commit details to SGML release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Adding commit details to SGML release notes
Date
Re: Adding commit details to SGML release notes  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 05:32:38PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >> To simplify the creation of the release note with the commit tag as an
> >> SGML comment, I think src/tools/git_changelog should be modified to
> >> output this string.  The format "trunc" feature was added in git 1.8.3.
> >> Is that old enough for everyone?
>
> > Since it's only needed by people preparing the release notes, I would
> > guess it's okay --- evidently Tom was able to use it.
>
> Well, that's only because I'm running a hand-installed git rather than
> what RHEL6 comes with.

Yes, I am running git 1.7.2.5 on Debian Squeeze, but I will be upgrading
in the next month, before the next major release notes are due, so I
would avoid the problem that way.  :-)

> > Maybe an option is to use trunc when git 1.8.3 or newer is detected, and
> > plain (no trunc) otherwise?
>
> Personally I find that truncated output to be pretty unreadable, and
> would strongly object to changing git_changelog so that that was the only
> possible format.  However, I have no objection to making it an option
> ("git_changelog --short", or so), and that would dodge any concerns about
> failing on git versions without the feature.

Well, my idea would be to change this git_changelog line:
Branch: master [01051a987] 2015-07-09 11:38:34 +0300

to output something in the new 'trunc' format, so we have it right next
to the release note text and the release notes easily get that comment.

If we _don't_ do that, how do you easily get those lines into the
release notes?  I can't imagine how hard it was for Andres to add that
text to the 9.5 release notes:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/E1ZA0lx-0006FM-PU@gemulon.postgresql.org

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +