Re: [BUGS] Compile fails on AIX 6.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [BUGS] Compile fails on AIX 6.1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> writes:
>> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 10:36:46AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> 2. Don't rely on local symbols in the PPC spinlock assembly code.

>> A third option is to use __sync intrinsics, like we do on ARM.  I like (2).

> I've been waiting to hear confirmation from Steve that the proposed patch
> works with IBM's assembler.  (For all I know, it uses "*" rather than ".",
> or some other randomness.)  He's not responded yet though.  Are you in
> a position to test the patch?

Steve got back to me with the news that AIX's assembler thinks that "."
is an ordinary symbol, not the current location.  Some googling says that
that assembler likes "$" for current location.  I did a quick check on my
oldest OS X PPC box, and it seems to be happy with "$" as well, so maybe
we can use that --- though I see nothing about "$" in the GNU Assembler
manual, which makes me a bit worried about whether it works on all PPC
systems.