Re: Commitfest problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Commitfest problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2014-12-15 11:21:03 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 05:21:06PM +0000, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> > I should add here that the QEMU folk do tend to go to great lengths to
> > preserve bisectability; often intermediate compatibility APIs are
> > introduced early in the patchset and then removed at the very end when
> > the final feature is implemented.
>
> I agree with Tom on this, and I want to point out that certain software
> projects benefit more from modularized development than others , e.g.
> QEMU is an interface library and therefore probably does things in a
> more modular way than usual.  For example, they are probably not adding
> new SQL commands or configuration settings in the same way Postgres
> does.

I'm not following. What do you mean with 'interface library'? I'm pretty
sure qemu very regularly adds features including configuration
settings/parameters.

> It would be interesting to compare the directory span of a
> typical Postgres patch vs. a QEMU or Linux kernel one.

I don't believe this really is a question of the type of project. I
think it's more that especially the kernel has had to deal with similar
problems at a much larger scale. And the granular approach somewhat
works for them.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services