Re: Commitfest problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Cave-Ayland
Subject Re: Commitfest problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 15/12/14 16:28, Andres Freund wrote:

> I don't believe this really is a question of the type of project. I
> think it's more that especially the kernel has had to deal with similar
> problems at a much larger scale. And the granular approach somewhat
> works for them.

Correct. My argument was that dividing patches into smaller, more
reviewable chunks lessens the barrier for reviewers since many people
can review the individual patches as appropriate to their area of
expertise.

The benefits of this are that the many parts of the patchset get
reviewed early by a number of people, which reduces the workload on the
core developers as they only need to focus on a small number of
individual patches. Hence patches get reworked and merged much more
quickly in this way.

This is in contrast to the commitfest system where a single patch is i)
often held until the next commitfest (where bitrot often sets in) and
ii) requires the reviewer to have good knowledge all of the areas
covered by the patch in order to give a meaningful review, which
significantly reduces the pool of available reviewers.

ATB,

Mark.