Re: [REVIEW] Re: Compression of full-page-writes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [REVIEW] Re: Compression of full-page-writes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 05:19:42PM +0100, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2014-12-12 11:15:46 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, that test pretty much doesn't have any large records besides FPWs
> > > afaics. So it's unsurprising that it's not beneficial.
> >
> > "Not beneficial" is rather an understatement.  It's actively harmful,
> > and not by a small margin.
>
> Sure, but that's just because it's too simplistic. I don't think it
> makes sense to make any inference about the worthyness of the general
> approach from the, nearly obvious, fact that compressing every tiny
> record is a bad idea.

Well, it seems we need to see some actual cases where compression does
help before moving forward.  I thought Amit had some amazing numbers for
WAL compression --- has that changed?

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +