Re: Commitfest problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Commitfest problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 10:50:56AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Also, one part of the point of the review mechanism is that it's supposed
> to provide an opportunity for less-senior reviewers to look at parts of
> the code that they maybe don't know so well, and thereby help grow them
> into senior people.  If we went over to the notion of some one (or a few)
> senior people doing all the reviewing, it might make the review process
> more expeditious but it would lose the training aspect.  Of course, maybe
> the training aspect was never worth anything; I'm not in a position to
> opine on that.  But I don't really think that centralizing that
> responsibility would be a good thing in the long run.

That is a very good point --- we have certainly had people doing reviews
long enough to know if the review process is preparing developers for
more complex tasks.  I don't know the answer myself, which might say
something.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +