Re: Commitfest problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: Commitfest problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12.12.2014 19:07, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 10:50:56AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Also, one part of the point of the review mechanism is that it's
>> supposed to provide an opportunity for less-senior reviewers to
>> look at parts of the code that they maybe don't know so well, and
>> thereby help grow them into senior people. If we went over to the
>> notion of some one (or a few) senior people doing all the
>> reviewing, it might make the review process more expeditious but it
>> would lose the training aspect. Of course, maybe the training
>> aspect was never worth anything; I'm not in a position to opine on
>> that. But I don't really think that centralizing that
>> responsibility would be a good thing in the long run.
>
> That is a very good point --- we have certainly had people doing
> reviews long enough to know if the review process is preparing
> developers for more complex tasks. I don't know the answer myself,
> which might say something.

I can't speak for the others, but for me it certainly is a useful way to
learn new stuff. Maybe not as important as working on my own patches,
but it usually forces me to learn something new, and gives me a
different perspective.

regards
Tomas