Re: pgsql: Check for GiST index tuples that don't fit on a page. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: pgsql: Check for GiST index tuples that don't fit on a page.
Date
Re: pgsql: Check for GiST index tuples that don't fit on a page.  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-committers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 10/4/14 12:59 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> writes:
> >> We don't have portable support for %zu formats until 9.4.  The
> >> backpatches to 9.3 and earlier need to use %lu.
> > Good point --- and something that seems like it'll be an ongoing gotcha.
> > Have we got any buildfarm critters that could be configured to throw
> > errors about this?
> If this change had contained a test, it would have caught it.
>
> Alternatively, we'd need to catch compiler warnings on the build farm,
> but if the installation is too old to recognize %zu, who knows what else
> it'll warn (or not warn) about.  Eventually, users of such systems tend
> point these things out, but that could take a while.

I compiled 9.0 yesterday and there are a lot of warnings with my current
compiler; something like -Werror is right out, I think.  Maybe we can
save warnings separately and have the member turn yellow if there are
any, or something like that?