Re: pgsql: Check for GiST index tuples that don't fit on a page. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: pgsql: Check for GiST index tuples that don't fit on a page.
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Sat, 2014-10-04 at 11:10 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I compiled 9.0 yesterday and there are a lot of warnings with my
> current
> compiler; something like -Werror is right out, I think.  Maybe we can
> save warnings separately and have the member turn yellow if there are
> any, or something like that?

This is a very hard problem in depth.

You will get totally different warning counts per PostgreSQL version,
compiler production, compiler version, probably also different
architectures, different operating systems.  See

https://speakerdeck.com/petere/static-analysis-test-coverage-and-other-12-plus-letter-words slide 6

for example.

Add in the general randomness and cruftiness of buildfarm machines, it's
a complete crap shoot.

Plus you'd need parsers for the output of all the different compilers.
See for example https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Warnings
+Plugin .