Re: JSONB marshalling - Mailing list psycopg

From maplabs@light42.com
Subject Re: JSONB marshalling
Date
List psycopg
Hi All -

  I am not sure that the psycopg2 project is understanding the
strategic and tactical significance of JSONb.
I will briefly use Lucene / SOLR are a (distant) example story, per my
limited perspective:

  Lucene was invented in the 1990s by Doug Cutting, and has proven to
be deeply strong in its text search abilities.
Lucene is designed to run in a single Java Virtual Machine. Compute
power was added as machines and budgets
grew, and it became clear that Lucene could handle millions of
documents, sometimes large and dense documents.
Among certain users, Lucene use grew, but on the whole, the world
continued on, with many many users looking for other
solutions.

  Sometime in the 2000's, a user in San Francisco decided that an
internet-ready wrapper would enhance Lucene,
and so the SOLR project was begun. SOLR basically provides GET/PUT and
admin verbs using http.

  This long story made short, SOLR is now arguably the "center of
gravity" for Lucene. Lucene is a remarkable
engine, and now stable, but new features, new users, new advances are
almost entirely in terms of SOLR,
not Lucene.  What does this mean to psycopg2 and PostgreSQL ?

  PostgreSQL is a core engine like Lucene, and shares many properties
described above. However, the internet
world of information exchange looked past Postgres to invent REST/http
based stores because the way the
data moves is as important as the engine, in human terms. When Heroku
intervened and guided the JSONB
implemenetation in Postgres, they knew that JSONB in core Postgres
enables interoperability .. in this story,
like SOLR.

  I submit that JSONB, and following, Psycopg2 with JSONB support,
will grow and grow. I say to the psycopg2
project, this is not a point-point release update with a sidenote, but
rather a very strategic feature that ought to
be fully support, documented and presented to all psycopg2 developers.
 I will leave the current status of
psycopg2 in the python stack to be described by others that are more
capable of that than I.

  agree, disagree or indifferent, psycopg2 would be missing a major
opportunity if the project does not
fully embrace and present JSONB in PostgreSQL.

  best regards from Berkeley, California
  Brian M Hamlin
  OSGeo California Chapter