Re: SQL Path in psql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Kerr
Subject Re: SQL Path in psql
Date
Re: SQL Path in psql  (BladeOfLight16 <bladeoflight16@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Sep 06, 2013 at 10:45:26AM -0700, David Johnston wrote:
- lup wrote
- >>
- >>
- > I wonder if this would at least get the full path on-screen for a c/p
- >      \! for d in  $SQLPATH; do find $d -name
- > <script-filename>
- > ; done
- >
- > That said, I would down-vote this suggestion.  I tend to put sql files
- > in amongst my various project dirs and maintaining the envvar isn't
- > worth it.
- >
- > Anything I re-use I make into a function.
-
- Usually a down-vote there is something that can go wrong if the feature is
- implemented.  Simply not personally having a use for said feature normally
- results in a "+0" vote or something similar.
-
- The big issue with environment variables is their ability to have resolution
- conflicts. I think the general idea has merit though setting symbolic-links
- (in Linux variants at least) can get you some of the way there in a less
- error-prone (but more verbose) way.
-
- Ultimately feature requests get made to here then end up on the ToDo listing
- if the idea has traction.
-
- David J.

I suspect this feature makes more sense on a windows platform. On linux where we can
go psql -f ${SQLPATH}/file.sql . it becomes less pressing. Even Oracle
on unix/linux where you can go sqlplus <<EOD @${SQLPATH}/file.sql EOD. makes
it less a requirement.

on the other hand, does seems like a pretty easy thing to implement.