Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date
In response to Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 03:15:14PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Bruce Momjian (bruce@momjian.us) wrote:
> > Agreed, but I think this is a much larger issue than ALTER SYSTEM SET.
>
> Yeah, true.
>
> > I think changing behavior to first-seen would only add to confusion.
> > What we really need is a WARNING when a later postgresql.conf setting
> > overrides an earlier one, and ALTER SYSTEM SET's config file could
> > behave the same, so you would know right away when you were overriding
> > something in postgresql.conf that appeared earlier.
>
> A warning would be nice.  If only everyone read the log files. :/

I would expect ALTER SYSTEM SET to return a WARNING in such cases too.

http://enterprisedb.com