Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date
In response to Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Responses Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Agreed, but I think this is a much larger issue than ALTER SYSTEM SET.

Yeah, true.

> I think changing behavior to first-seen would only add to confusion.
> What we really need is a WARNING when a later postgresql.conf setting
> overrides an earlier one, and ALTER SYSTEM SET's config file could
> behave the same, so you would know right away when you were overriding
> something in postgresql.conf that appeared earlier.

A warning would be nice.  If only everyone read the log files. :/
Thanks,
    Stephen