Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date
In response to Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Stephen Frost escribió:

> There are counter-examples also; sysctl.d will replace what's already
> been set, so perhaps it simply depends on an individual's experience.
> For my part, I'd much prefer an error or warning saying "you've got
> duplicate definitions of X" than a last-wins approach, though perhaps
> that's just because I like things to be very explicit and clear.
> Allowing multiple definitions of the same parameter to be valid isn't
> 'clear' to me.

One of the elements that had to be in place for this whole thing of
multiple configuration files to be allowed was for pg_settings to
include precise information about, for each setting, where is its value
coming from.  I doubt any of the systems you mentioned have comparable
functionality.  If the admin has trouble figuring it out, he needs only
look into that view.