Re: Running pgindent - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Running pgindent
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 05:56:32PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian escribió:
>
> > Done.  This was the first run of the Perl-based pgindent script.  There
> > was a lot of code churn in this run as the paragraphs are slightly
> > wider.  Also, I saw some outdenting of long lines, rather than allowing
> > them to go past 80 characters, but it seemed minimal.  If others see
> > problems, we can adjust the script and run it again.
>
> It seems a bit troubling to me that the underlying indent binary seems
> to have behaved slightly different.  I think this will cause problems
> down the road when we try to backpatch stuff that has been indented
> differently on the older branches.

Well, we have to figure out why it is behaving differently.  If I had to
guess it would be that the parameters to BSD indent were somehow
different, though I thought Andrew copied them directly.

> I wonder if it would be best to inflict pgindent with the new script upon
> the old active branches as well, to avoid this problem.  (It might cause
> other problems, of course.)

Wow, uh, yeah, I guess we could do that.  I will await more feedback.

http://enterprisedb.com