Re: Too much clients connected to the PostgreSQL Database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Too much clients connected to the PostgreSQL Database
Date
List pgsql-general
Rodrigo Pereira da Silva wrote:

> We have about 10 web applications deployed in a Tomcat 7.0
> accessing a Postgresql 9.1 database. We do use connection pooling.
> We have the max_connections parameter set to 200 connections,
> however, we are reaching the max connections sporadically(about 4
> time/day).

What is the pooler's maxActive setting? (It should be less than the
PostgreSQL max_connections setting.)

BTW, 200 seems alwfully high unless a *really* high end machine.  You
may have fewer timeouts if you avoid swamping the server with a
"thundering herd" of requests.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Number_Of_Database_Connections

-Kevin