Re: too much pgbench init output - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: too much pgbench init output
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tomas Vondra wrote:

> I've been thinking about this a bit more, and do propose to use an
> option that determines "logging step" i.e. number of items (either
> directly or as a percentage) between log lines.
>
> The attached patch defines a new option "--logging-step" that accepts
> either integers or percents. For example if you want to print a line
> each 1000 lines, you can to this
>
>   $ pgbench -i -s 1000 --logging-step 1000 testdb

I find it hard to get excited about having to specify a command line
argument to tweak this.  Would it work to have it emit messages
depending on elapsed time and log scale of tuples emitted?  So for
example emit the first message after 5 seconds or 100k tuples, then back
off until (say) 15 seconds have lapsed and 1M tuples, etc?  The idea is
to make it verbose enough to keep a human satisfied with what he sees,
but not flood the terminal with pointless updates.  (I think printing
the ETA might be nice as well, not sure).