Re: Yet another failure mode in pg_upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Yet another failure mode in pg_upgrade
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Sep  1, 2012 at 02:43:35PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Well, you only want the unix_socket* if sockdir is defined, but you want
> > LISTEN_STR unconditionally, even if there is no sockdir.
>
> Really?  What will happen when the installation's default is to not
> listen on any Unix socket?  (unix_socket_directories = '' in
> postgresql.conf.)

Well, don't do that then.  Locking out TCP seems like a big win.

> I'm inclined to think that the "no sockdir" case is broken and you
> should get rid of it.  If you're starting a postmaster, you can and
> should tell it a sockdir, period.  If you're running a live check this
> code is all moot anyway.

I don't think you understand.  The "no sockdir" case is only for live
checks of pre-9.1 old servers, because we can't find the socket
directory being used.  Everything else uses the local directory for the
socket.  If we remove that case, we can't do live checks on pre-9.1
servers.

http://enterprisedb.com