Re: createuser/dropuser username - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: createuser/dropuser username
Date
List pgsql-docs
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Uh, I did some digging after this email report and found it does need
> > some cleanup, which is done in the attached patch.
>
> > It removes quoting for table references in clusterdb and index/table
> > references in reindexdb,
>
> Uh, surely that breaks things.  Or did you miss my statement that the
> current behavior is what is intended?
>
> > and adds a general documentation overview about
> > when case is preserved and suggests quoting, and adds documentation
> > where special quoting happens.
>
> I don't find the documentation changes to be improvements either.
> Possibly instead of
>
> > !         Specifies the default tablespace for the database (double-quoted internally).
>
> you could do something like
>
>          Specifies the default tablespace for the database.  (This name
>          is not subject to case-folding.)

Actually, that is inaccurate.  When we call PQconnectdbParams() with
username/database names, or call fmtId(), we are doing more than
preserving case.  We are also preserving whitespace and special
characters.  I can make the new text:

    (This name is processed as a double-quoted identifier.)