Re: createuser/dropuser username - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: createuser/dropuser username
Date
Re: createuser/dropuser username
List pgsql-docs
> Uh, I did some digging after this email report and found it does need
> some cleanup, which is done in the attached patch.

> It removes quoting for table references in clusterdb and index/table
> references in reindexdb,

Uh, surely that breaks things.  Or did you miss my statement that the
current behavior is what is intended?

> and adds a general documentation overview about
> when case is preserved and suggests quoting, and adds documentation
> where special quoting happens.

I don't find the documentation changes to be improvements either.
Possibly instead of

> !         Specifies the default tablespace for the database (double-quoted internally).

you could do something like

         Specifies the default tablespace for the database.  (This name
         is not subject to case-folding.)

> +    <para>
> +     When specified on the command line, user and databases names have
> +     their case preserved — the presence of spaces or special
> +     characters might require quoting.  Table names and other identifiers
> +     do not have their case preserved, except where documented, and
> +     might require quoting.
> +    </para>

This latter sentence is just plain wrong.

            regards, tom lane