Re: Alpha4 release blockers (was Re: wrapping up this CommitFest) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Alpha4 release blockers (was Re: wrapping up this CommitFest)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Monday, March 07, 2011 06:40:55 PM Tom Lane wrote:
> > On sön, 2011-03-06 at 12:16 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> I'm still not thrilled with the plan of sprinkling the code with
> >> random fmgr_info_collation() calls to make up for the lack of a sane
> >> default.  IMO, that *is* a default, just a badly implemented one.
> >
> > We have touched upon this point several times during the development of
> > this patch.  The main problem is that you need to distinguish no
> > collation from the default collation, so they can't both be OID zero.
>
> Fair enough, but throwing in fmgr_info_collation(DEFAULT_COLLATION)
> anytime we have a problem seems to me to introduce the exact same issue.
Its comparatively easier to grep for when you notice something itchy.

> Who's to say that that's really the appropriate value to use?
I actually am quite doubtfull that thats the correct value for patternsel and
the other places I added it in the patch. I think that should that be C. On
the other hand its not likely to be that influential.

that looks like it should be corrected btw:
src/backend/tsearch/{wparser_def.c,ts_locale.c}
Oid            collation = DEFAULT_COLLATION_OID; /*TODO*/
Thats occuring 6 times in there...

Andres