Re: Alpha4 release blockers (was Re: wrapping up this CommitFest) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Alpha4 release blockers (was Re: wrapping up this CommitFest)
Date
Re: Alpha4 release blockers (was Re: wrapping up this CommitFest)
List pgsql-hackers
> On sön, 2011-03-06 at 12:16 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm still not thrilled with the plan of sprinkling the code with
>> random fmgr_info_collation() calls to make up for the lack of a sane
>> default.  IMO, that *is* a default, just a badly implemented one.

> We have touched upon this point several times during the development of
> this patch.  The main problem is that you need to distinguish no
> collation from the default collation, so they can't both be OID zero.

Fair enough, but throwing in fmgr_info_collation(DEFAULT_COLLATION)
anytime we have a problem seems to me to introduce the exact same issue.
Who's to say that that's really the appropriate value to use?