Re: Alpha4 release blockers (was Re: wrapping up this CommitFest) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Alpha4 release blockers (was Re: wrapping up this CommitFest)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On mån, 2011-03-07 at 12:40 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Fair enough, but throwing in fmgr_info_collation(DEFAULT_COLLATION)
> anytime we have a problem seems to me to introduce the exact same
> issue.  Who's to say that that's really the appropriate value to use?

It normally isn't the appropriate value to use.  It's only appropriate
if either that particular part of the code doesn't support collations
yet or it's dealing with some hardcoded catalog lookups or some similar
case.  In most other cases you should be getting the collation passed in
from somewhere, and if you aren't there is probably some work to do to
get it there.  That's at least sort of the experience from developing
this.