Re: Parallel make problem with git master - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Parallel make problem with git master
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On mån, 2011-03-07 at 22:28 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> BTW, how many people here have read "Recursive Make Considered
> Harmful"?
>
> http://aegis.sourceforge.net/auug97.pdf
>
> Because what we're presently doing looks mighty similar to what he's
> saying doesn't work and can't be made to work.

Yes, that's the better solution.  It will probably just upset a lot of
people's thinking.

The main problem way back when I last considered this seriously was that
it wasn't clear how many compilers don't support -o with -c.  The paper
doesn't offer a clear solution to that, but it might be that the problem
is effectively gone now.