Re: Extensions support for pg_dump, patch v27 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: Extensions support for pg_dump, patch v27
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 04:23:41PM +0100, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki.takahiro@gmail.com> writes:
> > * Extensions installed in pg_catalog:
> > If we install an extension into pg_catalog,
> >   CREATE EXTENSION xxx WITH SCHEMA pg_catalog
> > pg_dump dumps nothing about the extension. We might need special care
> > for modules that install functions only in pg_catalog.
>
> In src/backend/catalog/pg_depend.c we find the code for
> recordDependencyOn() which is in fact in recordMultipleDependencies(),
> and sayth so:
>
>         /*
>          * If the referenced object is pinned by the system, there's no real
>          * need to record dependencies on it.  This saves lots of space in
>          * pg_depend, so it's worth the time taken to check.
>          */
>
> So I'm not sure about what we can do here other than error on using
> pg_catalog in CREATE EXTENSION?  How do we want to manage adminpack?
>
> Other than adminpack, I think it makes sense to say that extensions
> are not going into pg_catalog…

Given this, we should maybe see about either making adminpack part of
PostgreSQL's core distribution (probably a good idea) or moving it out
of pg_catalog so we don't have an exception to the rule.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!