Re: Extensions support for pg_dump, patch v27 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Extensions support for pg_dump, patch v27
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki.takahiro@gmail.com> writes:
> * Extensions installed in pg_catalog:
> If we install an extension into pg_catalog,
>   CREATE EXTENSION xxx WITH SCHEMA pg_catalog
> pg_dump dumps nothing about the extension. We might need special care
> for modules that install functions only in pg_catalog.

In src/backend/catalog/pg_depend.c we find the code for
recordDependencyOn() which is in fact in recordMultipleDependencies(),
and sayth so:
    /*     * If the referenced object is pinned by the system, there's no real     * need to record dependencies on it.
This saves lots of space in     * pg_depend, so it's worth the time taken to check.     */

So I'm not sure about what we can do here other than error on using
pg_catalog in CREATE EXTENSION?  How do we want to manage adminpack?

Other than adminpack, I think it makes sense to say that extensions are
not going into pg_catalog…

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine