Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Bruce,

> > Well, if you dump in custom format, it could be useful to be able to
> > do this on pg_restore time. Not having followed this thread in detail,
> > but would that work? That would be a much more useful option...
>=20
> I don't think so because much of the quoting has to be done in the
> backend, and it would be hard for pg_dump to munge the dump file before
> sending it to the backend --- it doesn't have enough knowledge, I am
> afraid.  It could try targeting just new keywords, but I am worried that
> would cause more problems than it fixes.

We're talking about a quote-everything option, not what quote_ident()
does today.  I don't see why that needs to be done by the backend or why
pg_dump/pg_restore doesn't have enough info to handle that.  We don't
change what has to be *quoted* inside a quoted identifier terribly
often...

    Thanks,

        Stephen