Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> We're talking about a quote-everything option, not what quote_ident()
> does today.  I don't see why that needs to be done by the backend or why
> pg_dump/pg_restore doesn't have enough info to handle that.

Are you proposing to stick a SQL parser into pg_dump so that it can
split apart view and expression definitions to tell what is an
identifier and what isn't?

BTW, it wouldn't be just one parser, but a different one for each back
version supported by pg_dump, else you'll fail on exactly the cases that
are of concern here.

            regards, tom lane