Re: PGXS: REGRESS_OPTS=--load-language=plpgsql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: PGXS: REGRESS_OPTS=--load-language=plpgsql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2010, at 8:38 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> >> The regression test in the core is targeting only its version,
> >> but some external projects have version-independent tests.
> >
> > I think it's more like "are under the fond illusion that their tests are
> > version-independent".  Are we going to back out the next incompatible
> > change we choose to make as soon as somebody notices that it breaks a
> > third-party test case?  I don't think so.  Let me point out that
> > choosing to install plpgsql by default has already broken "--single"
> > restore of practically every pg_dump out there.  Nobody batted an eye
> > about that.  Why are we suddenly so concerned about its effects on
> > unnamed test suites?
>
> Because it's a lot easier for `pg_regress --load-language=plpgsql` to mean "ensure the language is installed" than it
isfor 3rd-party test suites to detect what version they're being installed against.

Why doesn't the Makefile running the tests simply avoid adding
--load-language when the version is higher than 9.0?  Shouldn't be a
hard test to write.  We have $(MAJORVERSION) to help with this.