Re: PGXS: REGRESS_OPTS=--load-language=plpgsql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: PGXS: REGRESS_OPTS=--load-language=plpgsql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Feb 19, 2010, at 5:36 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>> Because it's a lot easier for `pg_regress --load-language=plpgsql` to mean "ensure the language is installed" than
itis for 3rd-party test suites to detect what version they're being installed against.

> Why doesn't the Makefile running the tests simply avoid adding
> --load-language when the version is higher than 9.0?  Shouldn't be a
> hard test to write.  We have $(MAJORVERSION) to help with this.

Usually PGXS loads after setting all the environment variables, though I suspect that it wouldn't have any side effects
toset regress_opts afterward. Also, there is no MAJORVERSION in earlier versions, so module authors would have to work
aroundthat.

Basically though, you're asking all third party module authors who depend on plpgsql in their code and/or tests to
modifytheir makefiles and release new versions to work around something that pg_regress could have fixed internally in
1-2lines of code and be done with it.

Best,

David