BUG #5332: Installation weirdness - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Sivaguru Sankaridurg
Subject BUG #5332: Installation weirdness
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      5332
Logged by:          Sivaguru Sankaridurg
Email address:      uc_regents@yahoo.com
PostgreSQL version: 8.4.1
Operating system:   FreeBSD 6.3
Details:

I am seeing some install script weirdness when installing postgres (build
and install from sources) on a FreeBSD 6.3 machine.

Pls. see install output between "Try#1" and "Try#2" below.

In Try#1, when I configure the prefix to be "/tmp/pgsql", and subsequently
do a "gmake install", the install script creates the "internal", "server"
and "informix" directories right under "include".

However, in Try#2, when I configure the prefix to be "/tmp/psql" (NOT pgsql,
but psql...or anything else) and subsequently do a "gmake install", the
install script creates the "internal", "server" and "informix" directories
under "include/postgres".

The bug is that the "postgres" directory was NOT created under "include" in
Try#1, however the behavior was different in Try#2.

---------------- Try #1 ---------------------
# ./configure --prefix=/tmp/pgsql --with-openssl --with-libxml
--enable-thread-safety

# gmake install

# find /tmp/pgsql/include/ -type d -maxdepth 1
/tmp/pgsql/include/
/tmp/pgsql/include/libpq
/tmp/pgsql/include/internal
/tmp/pgsql/include/server
/tmp/pgsql/include/informix

------------------------ Try #2 --------------
# ./configure --prefix=/tmp/psql --with-openssl --with-libxml
--enable-thread-safety

# gmake install

# find /tmp/psql/include/ -type d -maxdepth 1
/tmp/psql/include/
/tmp/psql/include/libpq
/tmp/psql/include/postgresql

# # find /tmp/psql/include/ -type d -maxdepth 2
/tmp/psql/include/
/tmp/psql/include/libpq
/tmp/psql/include/postgresql
/tmp/psql/include/postgresql/internal