Re: BUG #5330: No CREATE SYNONYM command - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Joshua Tolley
Subject Re: BUG #5330: No CREATE SYNONYM command
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 05:41:45AM +0000, zhuge wrote:
> I want to port from Oracle to PostgreS. But Postgres has no the command,
> CREATE SYNONYM,
> which exists in Oracle. I have read the information,
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-03/msg00085.php, and
> download the file. However, I DO NOT know how to use the create synonym
> command in Postgres. How can I to use that command? Please help me !

PostgreSQL doesn't support Oracle's concept of synonyms. The message you read
is from a patch that eventually was rejected.

How you might replicate Oracle's synonyms in PostgreSQL depends on your
specific use case. You might consider emailing pgsql-general with details
about what precisely you use synonyms for, to get help on your porting
project.

--
Joshua Tolley / eggyknap
End Point Corporation