Re: Justifying a PG over MySQL approach to a project - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lincoln Yeoh
Subject Re: Justifying a PG over MySQL approach to a project
Date
Re: Justifying a PG over MySQL approach to a project  (Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com>)
Re: Justifying a PG over MySQL approach to a project  ("Gauthier, Dave" <dave.gauthier@intel.com>)
List pgsql-general
At 05:44 AM 12/17/2009, Greg Smith wrote:
>You've probably already found
>http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Why_PostgreSQL_Instead_of_MySQL:_Comparing_Reliability_and_Speed_in_2007
>which was my long treatment of this topic (and overdue for an update).
>
>The main thing I intended to put into such an update when I get to
>it is talking about the really deplorable bug handling situation for
>MySQL, which is part of how all the data corruption issues show
>up.  There's a good overview of its general weirdness at
>http://www.xaprb.com/blog/2007/08/12/what-would-make-me-buy-mysql-enterprise/
>and the following series of pages lead you through my favorite set of bugs:

More so when Monty himself grumbles about the bug handling situation:

http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2008/11/oops-we-did-it-again-mysql-51-released.html

If people still insist on MySQL, you might want to get it in writing
that it's someone else's decision to use MySQL and not yours ;).

Ten or so years ago MySQL was better than Postgres95, and it would
have been easy to justify using MySQL over Postgres95 (which was
really slow and had a fair number of bugs). But Postgresql is much
better than MySQL now. That's just my opinion of course.

Link