Re: Extracting SQL from logs in a usable format - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: Extracting SQL from logs in a usable format
Date
List pgsql-general
JGuillaume (ioguix) de Rorthais wrote:
>> I am currently developing such a beast, it is currently still quite
>> alpha. If you are interested I can send you a copy. I'll try to
>> publish it once it is sufficiently beta.
>
> Interesting project, but but I have one big issue under 8.1 and
> advanced query (prepare / bind / execute): we cannot extract values of
> parameters from the logs with <8.2. So I am not able to parse /
> rebuilt query from logs under 8.1.

Hmm, that doesn't bother me. 8.1 is pretty old now, and who knows when
my program will be stable :^)

> I started something as well, based on tcpdump/tshark output (tshark
> - -VT text ...). My project is in pre-alpha step, but at least I can
> extract both simple queries and advanced queries w/ params. The only
> known limitations with this approach are :
>  - cannot extract from SSL connections
>  - ISTM tshark only support PostgreSQL V3 protocol. So only work on
> > 7.2  IIRC

I guess each approach has some limitations.
The limitations I encountered for log parsing:
- COPY data are not logged.
- Fast Path API calls are not logged (that includes large object functions).
- Unless you have log_min_messages at DEBUG2 or better, you cannot
  determine when exactly a prepared statement was parsed.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe