Re: More robust pg_hba.conf parsing/error logging - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: More robust pg_hba.conf parsing/error logging
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> >Surely if you want to designate a database named ALL you should use
> >quotes, same as if you wanted to designate a database named all (see my
> >other followup).
>
> OK, but if we move to using pg_strcasecmp() that would be a
> behaviour change, so I think we couldn't do it before 8.5, in case
> someone is relying on it.

Yeah, I think so.  It doesn't seem like this is backpatchable (I lean
towards doubting that anyone is using a database named ALL, but still).

> It will affect any dbname or username in mixed or upper case, not just
> ALL, won't it?

No, I am suggesting to change only the comparisons to the literals
"all", "sameuser", "samegroup" and "samerole".