Re: More robust pg_hba.conf parsing/error logging - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: More robust pg_hba.conf parsing/error logging
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>

>> Rafael Martinez wrote:
>>
>>> Or throw an error saying 'ALL' is not a valid value and *not* reload the
>>> pg_hba.conf file.
>>>
>> But it's not invalid. It would designate a database or user named
>> "ALL". That might be a silly thing to do, but that's another
>> question.
>>

> Surely if you want to designate a database named ALL you should use
> quotes, same as if you wanted to designate a database named all (see my
> other followup).

OK, but if we move to using pg_strcasecmp() that would be a behaviour
change, so I think we couldn't do it before 8.5, in case someone is
relying on it. It will affect any dbname or username in mixed or upper
case, not just ALL, won't it?

cheers

andrew