Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Kevin Grittner wrote:

> The reason is that we don't want certain other processes attempting to
> start until and unless the database they use has started successfully.

This is something we're not quite ready on, yet.  We need some mechanism
that allows scripts to verify not only that postmaster started, but also
that it has finished recovery.  You can sort-of do it by attempting a
connection and checking the error message, but it's ugly.  There was
talk about a pg_ping utility years ago, but nobody got around to writing
it ...