Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chander Ganesan
Subject Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts
Date
Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Kevin Grittner wrote:
>

>> The reason is that we don't want certain other processes attempting to
>> start until and unless the database they use has started successfully.
>>

> This is something we're not quite ready on, yet.  We need some mechanism
> that allows scripts to verify not only that postmaster started, but also
> that it has finished recovery.  You can sort-of do it by attempting a
> connection and checking the error message, but it's ugly.  There was
> talk about a pg_ping utility years ago, but nobody got around to writing
> it ...

Can't you use pg_controldata to see whether it is in recovery or not?
Seems like you've got a way to see if it's running, seeing if it is in
recovery should therefore be pretty straightforward, no?

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.