Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts
Date
Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Here's a snippet from my F11 system:

>         $SU -l postgres -c "$PGENGINE/postmaster -p '$PGPORT' -D
> '$PGDATA' ${PGOPTS} &" >> "$PGLOG" 2>&1 < /dev/null
>         sleep 2
>         pid=`pidof -s "$PGENGINE/postmaster"`
>         if [ $pid ] && [ -f "$PGDATA/postmaster.pid" ]
>         then
>                 success "$PSQL_START"

Of course, this is a complete kluge --- it assumes the postmaster will
create its pidfile in less than two seconds.  And for that matter, it's
not very proof against the case of a pre-existing postmaster.  But in
any case, it (intentionally) doesn't wait for the postmaster to be ready
to accept connections, so it's not solving Kevin's problem.