Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts
Date
Re: We should Axe /contrib/start-scripts  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Hmm.  As stated, I would expect pg_ctl to make it worse.
I've been playing with this, and I think the problem was that we
wanted a non-zero exit from the script if the start failed.  That's
trivial with pg_ctl -w but not running postgres directly.  I guess I
could run pg_ctl status in a loop after the start.
The reason is that we don't want certain other processes attempting to
start until and unless the database they use has started successfully.
-Kevin