Re: hot standby - merged up to CVS HEAD - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: hot standby - merged up to CVS HEAD
Date
Re: hot standby - merged up to CVS HEAD  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-08-08 at 00:02 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > > Also, to my knowledge, nobody has really looked through the results to
> > > see if they are any good, so the success of the endeavor remains in
> > > doubt from my point of view.  That's a bit of a shame because I am
> > > interested in putting some more time into this, but I don't have the
> > > knowledge or experience to "fly solo" here.
> >
> > Well, Simon stated that your version should now be used as the most
> > recent one, so I would call that a success.
>
> I'm not sure why you're stirring this up again.
>
> Simon didn't state that the above. You can re-read my words and we can
> debate their meaning, but that's just a waste of time.

You stated:

- It's going to be very confusing if people submit their own versions of
- it. So now we have mine, Heikki's and Robert's. I'd like this to stop
- please, have a little faith and a little patience. Presumably Robert's
- rebasing patch is best place to start from now for later work.

I assume your last sentence is saying exactly that Robert's version
should be used as the most current reprsentation of this feature patch.

> I shouldn't have to publicly justify why I haven't finished working on a
> patch, when a) we have time, b) it's summer and c) I've already said I
> would finish the patch, very very clearly in a big loud voice. I expect
> to finish and commit comfortably in 2009, leaving many months before
> next release.
>
> So, as I said before, I expect to be left in peace to finish my own
> work. There wouldn't be anything to finish if it wasn't for me. I
> specifically don't want to review other people's versions of work when
> I'm trying to do my own, nor do I expect others to encourage multiple
> authors on the same piece of work.

The bottom line is that you think you have ownership of the patch and
the feature --- you do not.

You are right you don't have to justify anything, but neither can you
claim ownership of the patch/feature and complain that others are
working on it too.  This is a community project --- if you want your
patches to remain your property, I suggest you no longer post them to
our community lists.  If you are actively working on patches, I assume
others will not duplicate your work, but if you are idle, others are
encouraged to keep improving the patch.  Again, if you don't like that,
then perhaps the community-development process isn't for you.

And your misunderstanding in this area is exactly why I am bringing this
up.

http://enterprisedb.com