Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch
Date
Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch  ("Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com>)
Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch  (Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine@hi-media.com>)
Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:
> > Here is what I hope is a consensus patch.  It adds 'A' to show all
> > objects, including system ones.  It turns out that this is how 'S' works
> > now in CVS, but 'S' is unclear because it suggests just system objects;
> > 'A' for show 'all' objects seems clearer.
>
> I think it's probably fine for "S" to mean "include system objects"
> rather than "show only system objects".  Everyone should be relatively
> used to "S" by now; I think it's less confusing to keep the same
> letter even if the behavior has been adjusted somewhat.  Though others
> may disagree?

OK, so you are saying you like the behavior in current CVS, which uses
'S' as you described.

In thinking last night, I am now wondering if a letter is really the
right symbol for this.  We already have letter flags which control
object type selection, but the system table addition is kind of
independent of those flags, like '+' now.  I am thinking maybe '&' is
the right symbol rather than 'A' or 'S'.
\df

and
\df&

'&' would stand for "and system objects".  We could use '*' but that
might be confused with a wildcard symbol.

http://enterprisedb.com