Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch
Date
Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch  ("Robert Haas" <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > The basic goal of the patch was to make 'S' consistent for all \d
> > backslash commands, and we had a lot of discussion about it, and many
> > people asked for it (I can't find my user functions).
>
> I think this falls in the category of "be careful what you wish for,
> you might get it".  It is now blindingly obvious that the folks asking
> for that had not actually lived with the behavior for any period of
> time.
>
> Personally I think we should just revert the patch and go back to the
> behavior we've had for umpteen years.  However, if you cannot bear to
> leave well enough alone, how about *reversing* the sense --- that is,
> default behavior is to show everything and there is an extra character
> to omit system objects?

I got several emails thanking me for applying the patch, so there is
clearly user-demand for 'S'.  I think _we_ as developers look at the
system stuff a lot but in user-land, they would rather not see it by
default.

http://enterprisedb.com