Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> > The basic goal of the patch was to make 'S' consistent for all \d
>> > backslash commands, and we had a lot of discussion about it, and many
>> > people asked for it (I can't find my user functions).
>>
>> I think this falls in the category of "be careful what you wish for,
>> you might get it".  It is now blindingly obvious that the folks asking
>> for that had not actually lived with the behavior for any period of
>> time.
>>
>> Personally I think we should just revert the patch and go back to the
>> behavior we've had for umpteen years.  However, if you cannot bear to
>> leave well enough alone, how about *reversing* the sense --- that is,
>> default behavior is to show everything and there is an extra character
>> to omit system objects?
>
> I got several emails thanking me for applying the patch, so there is
> clearly user-demand for 'S'.  I think _we_ as developers look at the
> system stuff a lot but in user-land, they would rather not see it by
> default.

+1.  It is seriously annoying that there is no easy way to see the
functions that you've defined without seeing all the, ahem, crap in
the system catalogs.

Now maybe there should be a way to toggle the behavior, but please
let's not think that everyone cares to see RI_FKey_noaction_del every
time they hit \df.  Noooo!

...Robert