Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch
Date
Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch  (Rod Taylor <rod.taylor@gmail.com>)
Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I think this falls in the category of "be careful what you wish for,
>> you might get it".  It is now blindingly obvious that the folks asking
>> for that had not actually lived with the behavior for any period of
>> time.

> I got several emails thanking me for applying the patch, so there is
> clearly user-demand for 'S'.

Were any of them from people who had actually *used* the patch for more
than five minutes?  I think this is clearly a case of allowing abstract
consistency considerations to override usability.

The real problem here is that the 'S' suffix for \dt is a bad precedent
for everything else.  If you want consistency then we need to change
that end of things.  I think that the idea of a switch to omit system
objects, rather than include them, might work.