Re: "make check" fails for 7.4.2 checked out from CVS - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: "make check" fails for 7.4.2 checked out from CVS
Date
List pgsql-general
Csaba Nagy <nagy@ecircle-ag.com> writes:
> Thanks to all who answered, finally it looks like Peter was right to the
> point: I was compiling postgres with the same deployment prefix as the
> installed (older) version, and probably there is some compiled in stuff
> which accesses that directory even for the test server, and even if
> that's not in the PATH.
> Recompiling with a different prefix solved the problem, the check is
> passing.
> I wonder if this is a desirable effect ? I mean that the test suite is
> not completely independent of what is installed ?

The problem was that the new psql was linking to an older version of
libpq.so (one that doesn't export get_progname()).  As best I can tell
that would have had to be a 7.3 libpq.so, which means there is something
wrong here because the 7.3 libpq should have had a different minor
number that would prevent the dynamic linker from accepting it as a
substitute.  What platform are you using?

            regards, tom lane