Re: Mailing list hacked by spammer? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Mailing list hacked by spammer?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:40:33AM -0700, Craig James wrote:

> Yes, hack is the correct term.  The bad guys have hacked into the major email systems, including gmail, which was the
originof this spam:

>  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/25/gmail_captcha_crack/

The simple fact is that, as long as we don't reject completely all
mail from any unsubscribed user, some spam will occasionally get
through.  It's humans who have to do the moderation, and sometimes we
hit the wrong button.  Sorry.

(Moreover, the trick of foiling captchas and using compromised
machines all over the Internet to send spam is hardly "hacking the
list".)

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104