Re: WITH RECURSIVE updated to CVS TIP - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: WITH RECURSIVE updated to CVS TIP
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
> * David Fetter <david@fetter.org> [080710 10:19]:

> > 2.  Allow people who are not currently committers on CVS HEAD to make
> > needed changes.
>
> Uh, the point of git is it's distributed, so you don't need to be
> involved for them to do that....

Yep.  People can already clone the master Pg trunk, and start from there
to build patches.  If they use their *private* repos for this, awesome
-- they have complete history.  If they want other developers to chime
in with further patches, they just need to publish their repos, and let
other clone them.  Then, they can pull from those other repos, or allow
others to push.

If you want to keep updating to trunk as it moves forward, I guess you'd
need to propagate the changes from trunk to your RECURSIVE repo.  And if
upstream changes the patch to fix some bug, you really need that bugfix
to show as a separate (and probably very small) patch.

Unapplying the patch and applying it back seems the worst way to
proceed.

Like Aidan, I think that trying to centralize the GIT repo is trying to
circumvent GIT's design ideas rather than working with them.