Re: WITH RECURSIVE updated to CVS TIP - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: WITH RECURSIVE updated to CVS TIP
Date
Re: WITH RECURSIVE updated to CVS TIP  (Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams@oryx.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 11:31:00AM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
> > * David Fetter <david@fetter.org> [080710 10:19]:
>
> > > 2.  Allow people who are not currently committers on CVS HEAD to
> > > make needed changes.
> >
> > Uh, the point of git is it's distributed, so you don't need to be
> > involved for them to do that....
>
> Yep.  People can already clone the master Pg trunk, and start from
> there to build patches.  If they use their *private* repos for this,
> awesome -- they have complete history.  If they want other
> developers to chime in with further patches, they just need to
> publish their repos,

Publishing those repos is easiest on git.postgresql.org.

> and let other clone them.  Then, they can pull from those other
> repos, or allow others to push.

Again, git.postgresql.org is good for this and other places are not
for reasons I've mentioned before.

> If you want to keep updating to trunk as it moves forward, I guess
> you'd need to propagate the changes from trunk to your RECURSIVE
> repo.  And if upstream changes the patch to fix some bug, you really
> need that bugfix to show as a separate (and probably very small)
> patch.
>
> Unapplying the patch and applying it back seems the worst way to
> proceed.

Fine.  I proceeded in ignorance and will fix.  I'm more than delighted
to start the whole thing over based on this.

> Like Aidan, I think that trying to centralize the GIT repo is trying to
> circumvent GIT's design ideas rather than working with them.

It's not about centralizing, but about letting a bunch of people
publish their changes to the same spot without being committers on the
Postgres project.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!