Re: In the belly of the beast (MySQLCon) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alan Hodgson
Subject Re: In the belly of the beast (MySQLCon)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday 18 April 2008, Geoffrey <lists@serioustechnology.com> wrote:
> What about the:
>
> 8.1 -> slony -> 8.3
> switch users to 8.3 databases
>
> solution.

15+ million row inserts/updates a day across 1000+ tables. Oh, and an
extensive existing Slony structure for some portions of the database.

I could conceivably construct Slony sets for the currently non-replicated
tables and iteratively subscribe them (so the initial subscribe doesn't
take a week ...).  I'm not at all sure Slony could keep up with our update
load, though, especially not while maintaining current database operations
and also handling those subscriptions. Slony doesn't really work well with
high transaction volumes, in my experience.

I am going to play with this and see where it breaks, but it's going to be
an enormous time investment to babysit it.

--
Alan